Tuesday 14 August 2012

Words of Inspiration+


As a prelude to what will eventually be Tuesday Tips, I wanted to give you all a life tip:


Listen to words that make a difference in your life. Like, really listen.  

I'm always most inspired by words that encourage you to seek what you want in life, and of course your classic case of of "never give up" positivity. Many people sort of look at you like, "are you for real?" when you find yourself attracted to these types of personal sayings. Society has brought it to our attention that some of these mantras are rather idyllic and considered cliche because of that, but, why should that make them any less important? We spend so much time trying to overcome the obstacles and hardships in our lives so then why is it so bad when we find words that have the power for change.

I'd like to show you something that inspired me the other day.  While I was working for BCBG for a short but sweet time in my life, I met an awesome girl.  She touched me with her story of how she had lost her mother a few years back. She was so strong and really making the best of her life, putting a smile on the faces of those around her, and really truly putting her heart into things that she was doing.  Now she's seeking the world and kicking some serious tail. 

She recently discovered this poem written in her mother's journal:

Don't Quit...

When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.
Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
You may succeed with another blow,
Success is failure turned inside out--
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

So to my dear -, thank you for sharing these beautiful words and being able to inspire me with your story.

Whatever your words may be, find those words that make a difference in your life.  It doesn't matter whether the words are inspired by a loved one, like the ones above, or whether they're an age old proverb or biblical passage, don't be embarrassed to find a mantra that is solace to you.



I found mine years ago when I was at a very low point in my life: Dum Spiro, Spero. It means While I breathe, I hope in Latin. For me it was a matter of never stopping to believe that things will get better.  When you're in a negative mindset, it's hard to find that one little sliver of light that keeps you going.  It was important to think: as long as I live, I will hope, and as long as I hope, I will live.  Hope isn't just a naive sense of being, it exists because it contributes to the wellness of people's lives. Sometimes it's all you need.


"By words we learn thoughts, and by thoughts we learn life."
- Jean Baptiste Girard 


Share your words, share your life.

1 comment: